Friday, August 23, 2013

どっかん (Dokkan in Hatagaya)

どっかん

_DSC4170.jpg

The once-a-week shop in Hattagaya just opened a second branch. The new Dokkan is Dokkan all the time.

Explanation. One of my favorite shops in Tokyo is actually three shops. On Mondays, it becomes Dokkan, a rich shoyu soup topped with mounds of seabura. Pork fat. Tuesday to Friday the shops is called Gamushara, serving a ginger heavy shoyu ramen. On the weekends, Yahiko serves miso tsukemen and ramen.

I as ecstatic when Dokkan, my favorite of the three, would open as a second shop just down the road.

_DSC4169.jpg

The menu looks to be exactly the same.

_DSC4179.jpg

How much seabura do you want? Yes, this is pork back fat, which sounds better if you just keep to the Japanese word. Seabura is silky and rich. Go for the 鬼あぶ - devil's size -  if you are in the mood.

_DSC4173.jpg

They've only been open for a week, which is why I'll forgive them for something being off. It was still good, and I will probably go here anytime I am drinking in the neighborhood, but the impact of the original just wasn't there.

_DSC4178.jpg

Or maybe it was that I was there for lunch, when the original Dokkan was strictly a late night spot for me.

By the way, this spot is the former location of Sejiken, which I think might be the worst ramen I ever had in my life.

_DSC4181.jpg


東京都渋谷区幡ヶ谷2-19-2
Tokyo, Shibuya-ku, Hattagaya 2-19-2
Closest station: Hattagaya

Open 11:30-14:30, 18:30-24:00
Closed Wednesdays

No comments: