Saturday, October 13, 2012

上海 (Shanhai in Kitakata)

上海

IMG_0227.jpg

Fellow ramen nut Hiroshi's hometown is actually Kitakata.  I asked for a list of recommendations, and Shanhai was up there.  It is down a small alley, sandwiched between a couple other recommended ramen shops, and very welcoming.

IMG_0226.jpg

The all-old-lady staff seemed very happy that I could read the menu, which is quite extensive for a Kitakata ramen shop.  The summer limited ramen, a creamy sesame based chilled dish looked inviting, but I went with the standard.  The previous two bowls I had had in this town were just so-so.  So?

IMG_0228.jpg

The best of the bunch.  By far.  Shanhai's soup is made with pork bones, which is standard here in town, with an added bonus of an overload of vegetables.  You can really taste it.  Refreshing.

IMG_0232.jpg

This was the only bowl that I drank to the bottom.  The all-old-lady staff was pleased to say the least, and I could hear their giggles as I walked out into the summer heat.

IMG_0233.jpg

This is my number one, though that is only out of a set of four.  Hiroshi's other recommended shops are:

Makoto
Kurukuruken
Menya Gen
Kofuku
Asian Shokudo (next door to Shanhai)

Ask the map lady at the station, she can mark them all on a map for you.

IMG_0234.jpg

Open early, this would be my breakfast if I lived here.  At least three times a week.

IMG_0224.jpg



福島県喜多方市字2-4650
Fukushima-ken, Kitakatashi, Nichome 4650
Closest station: Kitakata

Open 9:30-16:30
Closed Thursday

No comments: