Sunday, January 22, 2012

風来居 (Furaikyo in Shinjuku)

風来居

_DSC2166.jpg

Happy New Year everyone.

_DSC2160.jpg

2004 is going to be a good one, I can tell. Judging by the recent trends in ramen, advancements in the instant stuff, and a newly opened ramen museum in Yokohama, this humble food is finally going to get popular!

_DSC2163.jpg

Looking at the recommended shops within walking distance of my apartment (circa 2004), Furaikyo looked to be the best that I hadn't slurped yet. It was also the only one I hadn't slurped yet, but that is besides the point. The tonkotsu-shio blend looked positively warming, and the recent temperature in Tokyo required hot food.

_DSC2169.jpg

The spicy version had a lot of Korean flavors in it. Peppy, but nothing to cause any sort of capsaicin-induced pain. Go for something with extra pork here, it was the one thing that stood out the most.

_DSC2185.jpg

See you in 2005!

_DSC2159.jpg




東京都新宿区西新宿7-19-18 セドール新宿1F
Tokyo, Shinjuku-ku, Nishishinjuku 7-19-18
Closest station: Shinjuku

Open 11:00-23:00

2 comments:

pudgym29 said...

When I visit Tokyo in 2005, after going to Kikokuniya bookstore for an atlas, I will meander through Shinjuku looking in vain for an Asian Indian lunch buffet I read about in a Tokyo Tourist guide - until I encounter a line of locals outside this shack, which turns out to be a ramen shop.
I queue up. I wait the 25 minutes or so. Just before I reach the ticket machine, I turn around and gesture to the people in line behind me what I should order?
I didn't get a substantial reply. So I still don't know exactly what ramen I ordered. But it was ramen, it cost only ¥900, it had the slab of pork and the egg, and was sufficient to hold me up for the rest of the day.
Let me make a guess. Were the other two still strung out from drinking the previous night, and | or had run out of money? !=))

Ramen Adventures said...

When in doubt, just hit the button on the upper left! That should work at 99% of the shops.