Tuesday, March 8, 2011

無鉄砲 (Muteppo in Nakano)

無鉄砲

20110309-DSC_5324

Muteppo is highly ranked. Sure, there are a dozen or so publications and websites with ramen rankings, but when your shop is on almost all of them, there's got to be something special about it.

20110309-DSC_5325

Less than 6 months old, they already have a devout following. All I knew going in was that it is a tonkotsu shop. I was expecting creamy white soup with the standard toppings.

20110309-DSC_5332

The staff asked how I wanted my noodles cooked. A usual question. But then, they asked if seiabura, back fat, was ok. That is definitely not a standard tonkotsu question. Of course, I accepted.

20110309-DSC_5335

Wow. Intense hardly describes what is going on here.

The shop uses over 300kg of roasted pork bones a day. You can bet the impact is there. This is the definition of kotteri, thick and rich.

20110309-DSC_5339

Top it with some soy marinated garlic slices.

20110309-DSC_5341

My apologies to anyone sitting next to me on the train.

20110309-DSC_5342

Another bonus, you can order a free side of light soup to add. Choose from either a fish broth or a light tonkotsu broth.

20110309-DSC_5331

For certain one of the most intense tonkotsu ramens out there.

By the way, according to their website, they have a branch in Sydney. Any ramen adventurers down under? I'd love to here about it.

Check out my video review here!





View Larger Map

Official Site

More Info Here






7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hiya - reader from Down Under here.. Their Sydney branch goes by the name of Gumshara, and no, I haven't had the privilege of trying it, though it's getting quite a reputation among the food bloggers for its rich rich soup.

Ramen Adventures said...

Thanks Ming. Strange, one of my favorite Tokyo shops is clled Gamushara. Anyways, next time you are drunk, try it out!

mahikokobayashi said...

My Favorite Ramen recentry!

Damon said...

I was interested to see this review and the comment that there may be a branch in Sydney.

The Muteppo website lists the Sydney branch as the same as Gumshara. I posted a review on Gumshara last year here:

http://thehungrybonvivant.com/2010/08/22/gumshara/

Keep up the good work - love seeing your reviews in my in tray.

Damon

Ramen Adventures said...

Thanks Damon. Looks totally different at the Sydney shop.

Unknown said...

Hey Brian!

Going to a trip to tokyo in May. Looking for the best tonkotsu. Is Muteppo the ramen shop you recommend? :)

Perkin
Philippines

Unknown said...

love tonkotsu,that soup looks awesome.
thanks for your videos man.
peace