Saturday, January 8, 2011

mastermindJAPAN x 秀ちゃんラーメン (mastermindJAPAN and Hide-Chan in Omotesando)

マスターヌードル

20110108-DSC_4696

Urban street fashion collaborations are nothing new. You can sport a North Face x Supreme jacket with some Puma x Evisu jeans and a pair of Adidas x Star Wars kicks. But when relevant website hypebeast mentioned a fashion x ramen collaboration, I was surprised. I was also totally into it.

20110108-DSC_4649

The adventure began early, as did the line. I waited here for 45 minutes.

20110108-DSC_4659

And I waited here for another 45 minutes.

20110108-DSC_4663

The collab was between mastermind JAPAN, a street fashion brand aimed at people who want skulls on everything they wear. It is also aimed at those with large wallets. Expect to pay over $100 for a t-shirt.

By the way, this was the best dressed ramen line I've ever waited in. At least half the people were decked out in mastermind gear. Even those who had an obvious disregard for personal hygiene were wearing Bape or XLarge.

20110108-DSC_4655

The collaboration is with Hide-Chan ramen. Hide-Chan might sound familiar to American ramen lovers, since they were voted best in New York a few years back. It's your standard white tonkotsu shop in Japan. Overseas in the Big Apple, they offer a few more menu items, like a strange sounding meatless ramen and lots of side dishes. Actually, the vegetable one was one of two styles available at this event.

20110108-DSC_4667

But first the shop.

20110108-DSC_4668

Contemporary Fix is a stylish shop, with only a sparse selection of actual clothes for sale.

20110108-DSC_4673

Thats the end of my shop review, lets get to the ramen.

20110108-DSC_4678

Excellent. This was rich, creamy tonkotsu at its finest. They really brought it for this bowl. Everything was top tier, especially the Iberico pork roasted in black sugar. Speaking of black...

20110108-DSC_4669

Black benishoga. (Kuroshoga?)

20110108-DSC_4671

Black mentaiko rice. (photographed by a guy in a black leather jacket)

20110108-DSC_4681

Black noodles.

20110108-DSC_4684

Wontons with black filling. They are meant to be broken open, releasing the spicy black oil inside.

20110108-DSC_4685

What an awesome idea.

20110108-DSC_4687

And of course the special black bowl.

20110108-DSC_4695

I may have mentioned the slightly higher than average price of the clothing here. The ramen was no different. At just under 3000 yen, I wont be coming back too often. Not that I could, as this is just a 3 day pop-up shop that took over a cafe.

20110108-DSC_4680

But you get to keep the bowl, which is a cool collectors item.

Check it out until January 10th!


5 comments:

CBI said...

Any chance of getting an extra bowl?... Would love to get my hands on one, but since I'm in the UK that's damn near impossible. I'll leave a donation to make up for it?...

Thanks

Ramen Adventures said...

Sorry man, I was gone the whole weekend or else I totally would have gone back to get you one.

Justin Chicago said...

This post contained some stunning photos. Ramen Walker magazine needs to hire you!

I discussed this post with a Chicago boutique called Code of Conduct. They were impressed I knew about Mastermind. I told them to do a similar collaboration haha.

Unknown said...

Hi admin
I really want to make few adventure,and i really have to do.Your article about it its so good. Your way of post images really good then the others.I am also a directer and actor funny videos i have make many videos that is relate to the fun. This site is relate to the fun. Fun is only things in us life to brings some happiness on us face.

information and news said...

I truly need to make not many adventure,and I truly need to do.Your article about it its so great. Your method of post pictures great then the others.I am additionally a directer and entertainer interesting recordings I have make numerous recordings that is identify with the good times. This site is identify with the good times. Fun is just things in us life to welcomes some joy on us face.
information and news