Wednesday, December 1, 2010

バリバリジョニー (Bari Bali Johnny in Koiwa)

らー麺屋 バリバリジョニー

20101201-DSC_4065

My adventure of the day was to Koiwa, a little station about 20 minutes east of more central Tokyo. When I reached into my bag to get my atlas, with it's cataloged recommendations, I suddenly realized that it was at home. Probably still open to the Koiwa page. Lucky for me, the 7-11 has the new Ramen Walker in stock, and a plan B was no problem.

20101201-DSC_4056

Bari Bali was a good find. The relaxed atmosphere is offset by the complexity of the ticket machine. What to order?

20101201-DSC_4057

A Thai inspired green curry ramen? With a level 5 spiciness? The choice wasn't hard.

20101201-DSC_4049

Much like Bassanova, it starts with a green curry paste, then adds the main soup. The soup is very different though. More of a vegetable soup than anything else.

20101201-DSC_4051

Very refreshing. I'd give it 2 stars of spice though.

20101201-DSC_4055

The chef greeted me in English, and it turns out that Johnny, as he is called, spent much of his youth in Los Angeles. Fond memories of ramen in his childhood, he set off to recreate what he loved.

20101201-DSC_4062

No, the Thai ramen wasn't a memory of his past. It was simple shio that he wanted to succeed at. Could I eat another bowl?

20101201-DSC_4058

You bet! It's different than your average shio. Bari Bari nice! Apparently the taste changes throughout the day, and a lunchtime bowl will be a lot weaker in taste.

20101201-DSC_4060

Besides some great noodles, this place is very relaxed. Johnny takes liberties with the choice of music, and a big screen TV on the wall was blasting American hip hop.

When you go, tell him I sent you!

5 comments:

Sean said...

Nice blog! Can't wait to try some of these places.

I was really impressed by the photos. Can I ask what kind of camera set up you use?

Ramen Adventures said...

Thanks! I use a Nikon D90 with a Sigma 30mm lens.

Anonymous said...

"The chef greeted me in English, and it turns out that Johnny, as he is called, spent much of his youth in Los Angeles. Fond memories of ramen in his childhood, he set off to recreate what he loved."

Sound much like Keizo's story lol.

あまおと said...

こんばんは。
YouTubeでTVの映像が流れていたので気になって来てみました。
実は滋賀県にもバリバリジョニーというラーメン屋がありまして、江戸川区のバリバリジョニーと違って超こってり豚骨ラーメンを提供しています。
好き嫌いがはっきり分かれるラーメンだと思いますが、是非一度食べてもらいたいラーメンです。
豚骨以外にも魚介醤油や中華そばなどもありますので豚骨が苦手な方でも他のラーメンを楽しむことが出来ます。
滋賀県内にいくつか店舗がありますが、僕のおすすめは彦根丸善店です。
お近くへお寄りの際は足を運んでみてください。

Ramen Adventures said...

ありがとうございます!