Monday, November 23, 2009

海神 (Kaijin in Shinjuku)

海神

DSC_4527

Just outside Shinjuku Station's SE exit is a jumble of shops. Pachinko parlors, brand name clothing shops, massage parlors, and of course food. Usually, the only adventure here is finding your friends. When I first moved to Japan, 3 foreigners tried to meet for the first tiem in Shinjuku station. Agreeing to meet at the "Starbucks" is not a wise choice. Now I'm wiser, and chose the SE exit. I wandered around the block 3 times before finding this little 2nd floor shop with a name meaning Poseidon.

DSC_4513

The god of the sea would approve, assuming he eats seafood. Does the great Neptune feast on the inhabitants of his realm?

DSC_4518

This is the second time in a week that I've had a simple salt broth with some sort of unique topping. With a flavor and texture similar to something you'd find at a dim sum restaurant, these dumplings are made with a long list of fruits of the sea.

DSC_4523

Anyone know what 日本のアラ, Japanese Ara, is?

DSC_4525

I had the spicy soup. You can choose your level. Medium was fine.

DSC_4515

Putting a fried rice ball in the soup seems to be the new trend with this type of light soup.

DSC_4517

Kaijin is woman owned, and I caught a glimpse of the owner in the back, barking orders at a couple of young punks. Not a bad gig though, if you ask me.

DSC_4514

All this light ramen lately! That's what I get for going to shops featured in a book called "Girl's Ramen Club". Well, I've got my eyes on something different soon, don't worry.

Ramen Supleks Database


View Larger Map

No comments: