Monday, September 21, 2009

ばくだん (Bakudan in Shinjuku)

ばくだん

DSC_1867

Hiroshima style tsukemen. Say what?

DSC_1861

I wasn't really in the mood for tsukemen that day. Tsukemen is 99% of the time heavy and rich. Heavy and rich has its place, don't get me wrong. But I wanted refreshing with a kick. Healthy with an explosion. ばくだん means explosion, it must be meant to be.

DSC_1866

Boom!

DSC_1862

Bla-dow! The noodles and toppings were like a fresh salad. I could see a yoga instructor eating a plate of this with a light sesame dressing before a lesson. But I ain't no yoga instructor!

DSC_1863

Pow! Here it is. The soup here is spiced up with plenty of chili and sesame. It's as good as it looks.

DSC_1864

Smack! For an extra buck you get your egg and a side. I went for the rice ball, which was simple and a nice snack between spicy bites.

You can get anywhere from 0 to 20 spice level. Above 16 is "Uwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" I went with a 5 I think, which wasn't more than a slight tang.

DSC_1865

The shop is eclectic and anyone who has lived in Hiroshima (me!) will get a kick out of all the random stuff in there. One note though, they don't have the owari soup that you can use to mix in the dipping sauce, which is too bad I think.

Nate went here too.

Shop info here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I go to this place all the time... I usually just go for the straight up tsukemen, not the hiroshima tsukemen. I always get the soup at the end, so I am not sure why you didn't get it. Good place :-)

Ramen Adventures said...

Yeah, this is a regular for me now too. I teach a weekly lesson near there, so it just makes sense.