Thursday, January 29, 2009

鎌倉 (Kamakura Ramen in Shibuya)

鎌倉
(Along Center-Gai, the main walking street in Shibuya, about 5 minutes from the station)

DSC_2536

This one is up there folks. Plus one point for the location. It's right in the heart of Shibuya, where the proverbial "action" is. Everyone who visits Tokyo has to go to this area at least once. It's like a rule or something.

DSC_2535

Plus one point for apparently being the number one ramen shop according to a Yahoo internet poll. In the bottom it says ラーメン オブ ザ イヤー = Ramen obu za iya (pronounce it slowly and phonetically)

DSC_2524

Plus one for a great lively atmosphere. The staff of at least 6 shouts their welcomes to every customer who comes in the door, and shouts there thank yous as you leave. Clever, this shop has a separate entrance and exit, to avoid any ramen related traffic jams as customers scurry in and out.

DSC_2528

And the ramen ain't bad either. It's a perfect bowl, just the right saltiness, noodles, and toppings. I can easily understand why this would be given some sort of internet award, though it seems like they could give every shop in Tokyo some sort of award, or ranking, and still have left over ramen ranking king story magazines to sell.

DSC_2529

Although I have to subtract points for the super cheesy "philosophy" poster above the kitchen. It says something to the extent:
  • You will be surprised your first time
  • You will have a different taste your second time
  • On your third time, you will understand the original taste
DSC_2532

But I can overlook sappy stuff like that.

Dare I say that this is the #1 ramen shop for a first timer in Tokyo? I think I can go out on that limb. Sure, it doesn't have the unique, remarkable taste of other shops, but this is the bowl that will set you on a path, erasing every bad instant noodle moment from college, covering them with that umami you crave.

3 comments:

Keizo Shimamoto said...

I'm not sure but it looks like the menu has 30 different types. Hmm...maybe you should try them all! ;)

pudgym29 said...

I ate here while wandering through Shibuya one afternoon in 2011.
I recall having a late lunch [c.v.: 14:20].
It took me a while to discern what was the difference between some of the special offerings. I opted for ramen #53.
I can't refer in a thumbnail, but here is what I had.

Smart Destinations said...

Shibuya is one of my favorite places in Tokyo as well but not because it reminded me of anything else. It has a vibe that is all its own. I loved the feeling of being in a fast moving place and yes, compared to the rest of Tokyo, things in Shibuya do seem to move extra fast. Maybe it's the prevalence of giant screens that add to the people moving all over that makes the pace seem like it is constantly on the go.