Saturday, December 6, 2008

博楽軒 (Hakurakuken in Inokashira)

博楽軒



Just outside the station I use is a little ramen shop. It's never crowded, and I'm never hungry enough to go in. But today I needed ramen.

You see, I had just finished the annual JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) and felt like celebrating. Celebrating with ramen.

So I went in. One of the best things about this shop is that it is run by a little old lady and a little old man. I always see them when I walk by. It seems like the shop is only open when they feel like opening it.

Inside, it was just me and another old lady eating. Eventually, another old lady came by to chat with the owners. It was pretty much an old lady ramen party. Everyone involved was over 80 years old today. Imagine spending your golden years running the neighborhood ramen shop, just chatting with friends and making the occasional bowl.

So even though the ramen was pretty normal shoyu soup, the air of this place was fantastic. The master even mustered the courage to talk to me about Obama on my way out. It's a good thing.



2 comments:

Keizo Shimamoto said...

Yo! I had to consult the elders on this one. Apparently the kanji is a very "old" style and it reads Haku Raku Ken.

From their sign, they must also specialize in gyoza. Have you tried it?

Btw, congrats on finishing the JLPT. I hear old lady ramen parties are the bomb!!

Ramen Adventures said...

Yeah, next time I go I want to try their gyoza and some fried rice. Thanks for the help on the name.