Thursday, July 5, 2018

麺庵 ちとせ (Menan Chitose in Shinjuku)

麺庵 ちとせ


Who doesn't love a good Japanese-style tantanmen? Japanese tantanmen tends to be lighter, using a ramen soup to give the heavy spices a bit of balance. Underlying umami with a kick.


Chitose serves up a few choices; shio, shoyu, and tantanmen. The shio and shoyu both come with some amazing looking chashu, so I ordered myself a mini bowl of chashu over rice. And a beer, which unknowingly came with some chashu as well.


Definitely a recommended bowl. As always, the I could go for more spice, but that comes with the territory. Unless something in Japan is advertised as extremely spicy, it probably registers at about a 1 on the spice scale.


I'm not complaining, but I didn't really need the extra rice bowl. Get one to share, or get a beer with the service side of chashu.


Along with the shio and shoyu, they also offer a soupless tantanmen, and what looks like a regular appearance of limited bowls.